Thursday, March 1, 2007

Identity theft - The Number One Reason To Check Your Credit Report


I randomly decided to check my credit report to see what it looked like. I had bookmarked a site mentioned on Clark Howard's radio show that was actually free, unlike freecreditreport.com. The site is annualcreditreport.com, it allows you to check your credit report one time a year free of charge. Well, it is a good, no, GREAT thing I did. Not only was there a card listed that I was unaware of, but it had a past due balance!

Upon further investigation with the card holding bank (Bank of America), they told me the address and places it was used. It turns out that the card was opened and used from a past residence...in the town where I attended college. The thieves went on a one day spending spree at a gas station and deli/pub. Mostly beer I assume...

Lucky for me, this event only happened 3 months ago, so the payment was technically only one month past due. Lucky only because I had not been sent to collections.

By the way, contrary to what I hear often on other blogs, Bank of America has been extremely helpful so far. I hope I don't regret saying that later...

Now I am in the process of filing a police report and fraud claim. As I figure out how to reconcile this with the bank and credit reporting agencies I'll let you know.

I suggest you check your credit report once a year. If you want to check your credit score, it seems the only legit place to do that is myfico.com

0 comments:

 
Blogging Secret